Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Chihuahua Chum

Hello readers!  You may wonder why it looked like I titled this post chihuahua "fish bait".  Well, I'm not talking about that definition of the word today.  I am referring to this one.


chum n. An intimate friend or companion


This Sunday marked a sad day for my mom, dad, and little sister.  They had to say goodbye to Robbie, their little chihuahua. He was more than a dog, more than just a pet.  He was a part of the family.  For anyone who has grown close to an animal, this is a hard thing.  There are so many reasons why. 

Dogs especially are wonderful.  As Josh Billings an American humorist said, "A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself."  I am sure most parents would disagree with this statement but you get the point.  Besides, you can't snuggle with a fish.


In honor of Robbie, who by the way was a character and lots of fun to have around, here are some fun facts about these little canines.
  • Chihuahua is the smallest breed of dog in the world.
  • Aztec and Toltec tribes of Mexico considered the Chihuahua to be a sacred animal.
  • Chihuahuas make up the oldest dog breed on the American continent. They were brought to Europe at the end of the nineteenth century only.
  • In comparison to the size of its body, a Chihuahua has the largest brains amongst all the breeds of dogs.
  • Most of Chihuahuas are born with floppy ears. However, they stand up as the dog gets older.
  • The dog Chihuahua is named after the Mexican state of Chihuahua.
  • Chihuahuas were used as hot packs in ancient times for aches and pains  (it's true, they do love to burrow down in the covers near your back etc.)
  • They have a life span of 15+ years (this was a major surprise to my husband.)  Cheeto is my chihuahua and he is still getting around even though he is an old man at 15.
One fact that is neither fact nor fiction is that chihuahuas help people with asthma.  I mention this fact because it is the reason that we acquired chihuahuas in the first place when my baby sister was small. 

I have had the pleasure of being around six chihuahuas in my lifetime so far and these puppies can be fierce and protective and very loyal.  They may not be for everyone, but they have been a part of my life and I wouldn't trade those memories for anything.  Thanks for the love DJ, Picante, Charlie, Cheeto, Chiquita, and of course Robbie.  






I even made some magnets with these little guys!




Until next time, 


Crazed Momma
Naquai

1 comment: