Monday, May 23, 2011

Queen of Clean

Happy Monday people!  I don't want you to get the wrong impression by the title of this post.  I am most certainly not the Queen of Clean.  It's not even a title I would want.  I also don't judge others if their house isn't spic and span so don't feel picked on by reading this post.

One time someone asked one of my girls what my favorite thing to do was and she said, "She likes to clean."  WRONG!   However, I do like a clean house, car, room, body, etc.  I find inner peace when things are picked up and the dishes are done and the laundry folded.  I could achieve nirvana if everything in my house was organized and alphabetized A to Z.  Of course, real life happens and this is not the case.

I come by this possible moniker through a great line of women.  My Granny was a housekeeper for years.  Not only could she make her house the epitome of Home Sweet Home, she could make her clients' homes this way as well.  When my mother was a stay at home mom, she always endeavored to have everything neat and tidy.

My journey from Princess of Picked Up to Queen of Clean has taken many twists and turns.  I have gone in phases actually.  When I was first married with two little girls I did a pretty good job.  I cleaned the bathroom often.  I swept and mopped.  The laundry was actually folded and put away.  I was on top of the pile so to speak.  Eventually I found myself living in the same house for eight years (which makes it almost impossible to find the desire to "organize") and the mother of four girls, each of which are in different stages of growing and learning.  One day I woke up and decided that I was tired of doing the dishes and the laundry and walking around behind everyone with a trash can.  Luckily, my oldest inherited the possible Queen gene and made up the difference for me.  Both of my older girls have been assigned their own chores for years and it has kept the dirt and garbage at bay so we could at least walk through the house.  I also have to give props to my husband for doing his part in keeping the laundry going.
 
Lately, my journey has taken me back around to wanting to do more than just survive.  I've been perusing a book my mother-in-law gave me for Christmas.  There are many helpful tips, tricks, and shortcuts to taking care of everything in the home.  One of my biggest reasons for hating to clean the bathroom on a regular basis is because the chemicals make me ill.  This book gave a formula for cleaning that involves baking soda and vinegar.  I'm sure many of you already know about this little trick but if not, it works pretty well.  I'm also not afraid to take a bath for a week after cleaning the tub for fear of sucking up caustic chemicals through my skin.   I tried this trick out a couple of Saturdays ago and I thought my oldest was going to fall over when she saw Mom actually "cleaning."  Here's hoping the desire to clean stays around for awhile.  :)

Naquai


These tips comes from Best Ever Home Secrets by Joan and Lydia Wilen
*Sprinkle baking soda around the tub and then wet a washcloth with distilled white vinegar and scrub, then rinse.
*If you have a ring, add 1/2 cup of baking soda to the running water.  This should help get rid of the ring and also softens and conditions skin too.  

Of course you spend all that time cleaning and return to the bathroom and find this!  Precious!
 








1 comment: